Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

'Tis the season for mural painting

In order to break up the endless sitting, napping, staring, resting, hungry, thirsty, tired hours or Ramadan, Mac and I decided to go on a muraling tournament. We started in Doundodji, where my elementary school director requested a big map of Africa on one of the buildings. I was most excited about painting the latest-and-greatest South Sudan.

Doundodji pre-mural

Mac, ready for both mural painting and hunting season.
There were a lot of letters involved.
Look, we did it!
nephews/audience Abdou, Cheikh, and Mor, up to no good.
In our downtime, I documented the termite damage on my bed so I can send in the insurance claim.
After 2 days in Doundodji, we hopped on our bikes to go to Linguere, then on a bush taxi to go to Mac's village, Xol Xol.



Mac documented this lovely bag on the bush taxi to Xol Xol: "Yogurting endlessdreams" I have no idea, and neither does the person who owns it. 
We decided to paint a sort of Senegal version of Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy - a "you are here" mural.

Xol Xol pre-mural
Paint-fume induced delirium
Still cheerful, I don't know how she does it.
You are in Senegal, and Senegal is in Africa, and we're done!
Delicious yassa, special because: 1, it's Ramadan and Mac's family fed us lunch anyway, and 2. There were no Senegalese people around, so we lefties got to eat with our left hands.
Other notable events during my 2 days in Xol Xol included: 4 babies born, 2 baptisms, and twice being pooped on by birds. Village life was all in order.

I made it back to Linguere this morning in a chock-full bush car, which is quite a site to see: a little beat-up pickup truck with 7 adults (including me) and 2 kids in the cab, 10 in the bed, and 5 or 6 more on top of the cab/roll-cage over the bed, along with baggage and a few sheep and goats.  This afternoon we're being graced by over 4 hours of full-blast loudspeaker mosque chanting/singing/noise, and asking dear Allah to make it stop. I'll be back in Doundodji tomorrow for the last week of Ramadan before the end-of-fasting celebration, Korite.

No comments:

Post a Comment